2018 Austria Copper 5 Euro New Year's A Lion in the Winter
This charming, almost feminine representation of a lion was found on the cover of the oldest book among the millions that make up the impressive collection of the Austrian National Library.
As the old year draws to a close and the new one is about to begin, it is only natural to look wistfully over our shoulders at the past before turning our attentions to the year ahead. To find inspiration for its New Year Coin 2018, the Austrian Mint went back some 650 years, deep into the Middle Ages, where we came across the lustrous head of a lion, its mischievous grin framed by a handsome flowing mane.
- Contains 1/4 oz of Copper.
- Packaged in an illustrated blister pack authored by catholic priest Johannes von Troppau in 1368, the Holy Gospels are transcribed in Gold alongside detailed illustrations.
- Mintage of 200,000 coins.
- Obverse: Depicts the coat of arms of the nine federal provinces of Austria.
- Reverse: Features a detailed representation of a lion's head grinning framed by a flowing mane.
- Guaranteed by the Austrian government.